Disclaimer: Any identification with the following is not coincidental. The Lord just decided to confront with principle and truth. There is no personal “attack.” Ultimately, He works in us both the will and the to do of His good pleasure. This is an attempt to inspire us toward HIS good pleasure again.
For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me…The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God. When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple. They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy. ~ Jonah 2:3, 5-8 KJV
Let’s pull principle from Jonah’s experience and consider the life changes when we become the disobedient prophetic. We intentionally cast a wide net with the use of “prophetic.” We use it to refer to every aspect of prophetic ministry and expression. When we are disobedient to a divine directive, our environments change.
God said go here, say this, do that…and we set ourselves stubbornly in our opinion and preference. Then He began to draw us to His way, and attempt to restore us in dramatic ways.
- The Deep, Seas & Floods (v. 3)
- Overwhelmed, overcome, taken under by circumstance
- Major hits to livelihood
- Force major shift — limits on our living (e.g., downsizing, doing much more with much less, increasing obligations)
- Flood: Overwhelm – temptation, sin, judgment, depression, overcome
- Sea: Humanity – Salt Water = spirit of the world (undrinkable), unclean
- Billows, Waves (v. 3)
- Motion but no movement or progress
- One thing after another
- Losing control, swept away, sudden expense and inconvenience
- Undertow – undercurrent, discontent, murmuring
- Surrounded to the Soul (v. 5)
- Soul = mind, will, emotions, intellect, imagination
- Almost claustrophobic, can’t catch break or breath
- Life seems to close in…little room to exercise choice
- Head faculties obstructed by weeds — sight, smell, hearing, and taste all limited and choked off as the soul is surrounded
- Bottom Dwelling Deliverance (v. 6)
- Mountains are for us to tread on or speak to for removal
- We do not belong in their bottoms; it’s like a grave, a prison
- Still here we move toward deliverance when we acknowledge the Lord’s ability to lift us from the pit — in our helpless condition
- Soul Exhaustion, Memory Returns (v. 7)
- We get to the end of ourselves, contained in a great fish controlled by providence, and remember who is the Lord
- And finally, we remember to pray
- Loyalty that Loses (v. 8)
- One of the first things He makes us confront is our strong but purposeless loyalty
- Overcommitment to the wrong thing draws us away from the fierce love of the right thing
- Misplaced loyalty pulls us into idolatry and ties our hearts to idols
- And we turn away, and FORSAKE true love and mercy
So, Dear Ones, warfare never comes into play. It is not a factor at all. The raging deep is not the devil’s retaliation…because we disobeyed. We stir up the perfect storm, and yet He holds us through it until we get our minds back. It is not the demonic outside of us; it is the rebellion in us. It is our strong opinion. It is our desire to see another result and think we can change God’s mind by our will, and apart from repentance.
Please share with the prophetic people in your life. And read the short book of Jonah. In the end, he dialogues with God AFTER he obeys the original directive. And it’s sad…Jonah still held that he was justified in his anger toward God. 80, 000 Ninevites repented and turned to God…and the prophet God used was mad about His mercy.
Prophetic people, we are called beyond office and gift to walk the line with God. We live with divine restraint to make God’s point in the earth, at His determination. Let’s shake ourselves and consider Jonah’s bad attitude and perspective. Let’s adjust course for our sake and for the sake of the great revival waiting to flow through us.
With sincere love to all. Selah.